Meal Program FAQs
How do we get started?
Family House staff are available to advise you throughout the meal planning process. Each team should have a leader who will:
- Contact the Volunteer Office to check and reserve meal dates
- Schedule a visit to familiarize yourself with kitchen equipment and layout
- Ensure all members of your group follow Family House policies and volunteer registration process
- Oversee advance planning, preparation, serving and clean-up on the day of the meal
Who provides the food?
Volunteer teams provide a complete buffet-style meal (main dish, sides, and dessert) and any beverages other than water.
What does Family House provide?
You do not need to bring plates, utensils, napkins, or cups. Coffee is available at breakfast by advance arrangement. Cleaning supplies and disposable gloves are provided.
What equipment is available?
Pots, pans, utensils, serving dishes, food handling gloves, silverware, napkins, etc. are provided by the House. Our kitchen is adequately equipped with 4 stoves/ovens, 3 microwaves, 3 coffee makers, 4 dishwashers, 4 sinks, and plenty of counter space.
Do we need to accommodate special diets?
This is not required, but please be prepared to answer any questions about ingredients used.
May we donate a meal instead of cooking it ourselves?
Yes. Please ask us about recommended caterers and logistics for donating a meal.
What if there are leftovers?
Menu items should be easily packaged, labelled and stored in the Community Refrigerator, and reheated. Family House guests often arrive after a long day of appointments or travel, so be assured that leftovers will not go to waste.
Any meal suggestions?
Meals can be as simple or involved as you prefer. Meals as simple as pizza and salad, or as exciting as a variety of entrees are welcomed. Here are some popular favorites, but you are only limited by your imagination.
- Taco Bar with all the fixin's
- Rotisserie Chicken, Mashed Potatoes, Vegetables, and Rolls
- Lasagna, Spaghetti and Meatballs, Salad, and Bread
- Soups and Stew, Rice, Fruit Salad, Rolls
- Chicken Pot Pie, Rolls, and Dessert
When is a meal needed?
Please click the link below to see the current open dates for scheduling your meal:
Meal & Entertainment Calendar
(with available dates)
What if something happens?
If for any reason you are unable to make your scheduled meal, we ask that you call to cancel. If anyone in your group is not feeling well or is sick, they should stay home because many of our patients have suppressed immune systems.
Who do I contact?
Georgie Clemens, Family House Manager of Volunteer Services. Call 919.932.8009 or email firstname.lastname@example.org