Acts of Kindness During the Pandemic
While SECU Family House at UNC Hospitals is temporarily closed due to the COVID-19 pandemic, many of our community members are choosing acts of kindness, putting the health and well-being of others at the forefront. We wanted to share just a bit of what we've witnessed in the last month alone:
- A former guest who lived in North Carolina but now resides in Missouri kindly donated his $1,200 government stimulus check to Family House because, in his words, he was grateful to us and all we did for him during his stay back in 2017.
- Local dentist Jessica Bishop Funk raised more than $5,000 for Family House by crafting face masks and selling them on Etsy.
- A local baker delivered cookies to our staff that skillfully and beautifully featured the Family House logo on them.
- Countless volunteers have stayed in touch with us through calls and uplifting notes, bringing many of us to tears. We don’t know who misses whom more!
- John P., our Facilities Manager, continues to make sure the House keeps functioning in tip-top shape while also overseeing the expansion and dining room and kitchen renovations. He also managed to tape a wonderful video for last month’s Virtual Happy Hour fundraiser on May 1, 2020.
- Several UNC Health staff have checked in with us, expressing gratitude for housing so many of their patients in the past (and in the future) and hoping we’d be open soon.
- We continue to receive regular Wish List donations, many from former guests.
We cannot thank these individuals enough - individuals who’ve chosen kindness to make a positive impact on our Home during this trying time.